Parasites can make you and your pet miserable

Parasites can have a huge impact on the health and well-being of our pets. It only takes one bite from a mosquito to infect your pet with heartworms, which can damage internal organs and cause heart failure. Sadly, many animals don’t show symptoms until the disease is advanced, if at all. While there is treatment, it can be hard on your dog, and it’s very expensive.

Mosquitos and other parasites are becoming more frequent all year round, which means animal owners who stop giving parasite prevention medication after the summer ends—or don’t give it at all—run the risk of their pets contracting potentially deadly diseases.

For example, fleas have long been the bane of pet owners. These nasty little pests can transmit tapeworm, and cause itching, anemia and hot spots, which is why maintaining parasite preventative year-round is critical.

And then there are ticks. Ticks can give your pet Lyme disease, and they transmit ehrlichiosis, a bacterial illness that causes flu-like symptoms. This bad news isn’t just for pets. Ticks can travel from your pet to your family, and some of the diseases they carry can infect people too.

Prevention is the best way to keep parasites away, and the Clinton Veterinary Hospital team can help you choose which preventative is right for your pet.