At Clinton Veterinary Hospital, we believe in the power of pet insurance. We’ve seen it help families take better care of their animal companions. In certain cases, it’s meant the difference between life and death.
Take, for instance, the story of one of our long-time clients who recently brought her pet in for emergency care. This client was given the kind of treatment plan cost estimate that would lead many pet parents to waver or even refuse care. The client in question, however, did not hesitate. She simply told us to do what we had to do. We later learned that her decisiveness was due to the fact that she had pet insurance that would cover the bulk of the bill.
There are many health insurance and wellness plans to choose from, and we suggest you do some research before picking a plan for your pet. Like health insurance for people, pet policies have different deductibles, co-payments, and premiums. You should also be aware that with most policies, the pet owner must pay the vet bills in full, file a claim, and then wait for reimbursement from the insurance company.
Some questions to ask before you sign up with an insurer include:
· Is there a physical exam required to get coverage?
· What percentage of the bill does the company pay after the deductible?
· Are there co-pays?
· Does the plan cover pre-existing conditions and recurring medical problems?
· Can you choose any veterinarian or animal hospital?
· Are prescription drugs covered?
· Does the policy pay if your pet is being treated and dies?
Have more questions about pet insurance? Give us a call at (860) 669-5721! We’re more than happy to walk you through the process.